Saturday, February 9, 2013

We like ours local

Today was a day of running errands, getting groceries, etc.

It has been a long while since I had been to our local market- literally an outdoor market with vendors. The meat and dairy section is indoors. But in all truth this market has changed little (as far as I recall) in the past 16 years.

I really enjoy going to the market, both here in my small town and in the capital. That is a cultural experience in and of itself for any American :)

Today I was in need of potatoes, and produce (green onions, dill, lettuce) . The man selling me produce offered me delicious cucumbers from Estonia. I kindly refused him, telling him I would wait for our own Latvian cucumbers.

Perhaps it was just me, but I am quite sure they smiled in quiet agreement. And again I was reminded how Latvians put such a high value on locally grown produce.

Growing up in America I never remember being particularly interested in where my potatoes, apples and greens came from. I cared about what they tasted like and that was the key. But in Latvia it is important, and it seems that people pay a good deal of attention to this. Knowing how things are grown in various countries plays a part in our choices of produce.

We would much prefer,  I dare say , to buy apples from Poland when local ones are sold out. Believing their views on pesticides and natural growth habits to be closer to our local style than that of some more southern countries.

And those of you Latvians who read my blog, may correct my ignorance if I am mistaken. How about you, do you pay attention to where you your fruits and veges come from? Do you care? Why or why not?




No comments:

Post a Comment