Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Homemade Mouth Wash

Due to the fact that using Listerine during pregnancy is a no-no (my hygienist told me this) I have decided to try some natural options. Here are a few recipes I plan on trying. I will let you know later which I like best. I like using Listerine because I have sensitive gums and need something to take its place.

I found some great sites and each of the titles should take you to their sites.

Recipe 3: Herbal antibacterial mouthwash

  1. Place 1 ounce cloves or powdered myrrh, or 2 to 4 ounces of goldenseal or rosemary in a pint-sized jar.
  2. Pour boiling water on top of the herbs.
  3. Let steep overnight, then strain.[2]

Homemade Mint Mouthwash

Mouthwash is great for our mouths. This homemade version is antibacterial so it will not only help keep your teeth and gums healthy and free of unwanted debris, but it also will help with breath freshness. Making this recipe from scratch will even save you money as many of these ingredients you probably already have on hand at home.
This recipe makes about fourteen ounces and can be stored for two weeks in a dark, cool cupboard. Use it in the morning and the evening. 
Mix the following together and pour into a repurposed bottle of some sort. 
1 cup aloe vera juice (fairly inexpensive at Trader Joe’s among other places)
1/2 cup distilled water (I just used filtered)
1 tbsp. witch hazel
2 tsp. baking soda
20 drops peppermint essential oil
The taste of this mouthwash definitely differs from the store-bought conventional type, but I got used to it after a few times. It leaves your mouth feeling fresh and minty, using nothing artificial to get you that feeling!


This next article was too long to include here, so you can just click on the title.
Homemade Mouthwash


 Have you ever made your own mouth wash? What recipe did you use?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment