Saturday, October 26, 2013

Grandma Answers- From 1940

Looking through some old newspapers from Latvia in 1940 was so interesting today. I really liked the column "Grandma Answers"- which seemed to be a column on relational advice. It  pleased me how "right on" the answers were and makes me wish time didn't change values so much. 

I will share a translated version of the stories.


Situation: I love a young  man who is 10 years older than me. I am 21, and my parents keep trying to persuade me to part with him since we are both from different confessions (the word faiths) was used. I don't want to change my confession (faith). I sometimes also feel doubtful. Besides that anther young man loves me. My parents like him, he is only 25, and he is better off financially. I respect him, but I could never love him. What should I do? 

Answer: Neither of you want to change your confession. You are doubtful and cautious in your view of others. What kind of love is that! I think you marriage ship would have too many holes in it to even begin to try to sail across the wide sea of life. Wait until you find a captain with a stronger hand, whom you have no doubts about and for whom you would gladly sacrifice greater things without difficulty.

So my readers, what do you say of this advice brought to you from March 15, 1940? 


No comments:

Post a Comment