Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A Very Real Thanksgiving

Our celebrations started with a bang this year by my being asking to help some local church youth celebrate Thanksgiving American style. Which really means I had to plan and oversee the preparations for the meal. I made them 5 pies to crown the occasion and even got interviewed so they'd know why we celebrate.

My cousins even got to show up for the occasion which made the whole thing more special for both the youth and myself. The youth devoured the small turkey and seemed enjoy the evening and food.

We celebrated our family Thanksgiving Saturday. But it had to be done properly this year and with a real live turkey. Yes, LIVE.

Usually we do without a turkey at Thanksgiving because they don't sell them in the grocery store and are hard to come by. This year my husband did some searching and came up with a live one. He took my cousin's boyfriend along to help hold it while they brought it home. (Much to our amazement when covered with a bag they are very calm to transport in ones lap).

Cody and my husband did the job quickly and efficiently and we were proud to have a turkey on the table this year.

Notes for those needing to butcher your own turkey:
-get a helper who can take the ordeal.
- prepare a large pot of boiling water for immersing to the turkey to remove the feathers.
- be sure to remove all internal organs.
- be sure to butcher and chill at list 24 hours in advance so that the meat has time to cool.
- do your homework before beginning this job.
(for further info be in contact with my husband or Cody who were the ones who did the job).

We had a good old Thanksgiving meal, complete with a made from scratch- green bean casserole, stuffing, candied carrots, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, pecan pie, apple pie and honey cake!

It was so good to have my cousins here and to get to celebrate with family this Thanksgiving!

I am so thankful for the blessed time we got to share together, it was a wonderful time for getting to know one another better.






No comments:

Post a Comment