Saturday, May 25, 2013

You don't have to do it all!

My day seemed going wrong, everything I attempted seemed to fail. The dessert I was making ended up being completely ruined because the thickener I was using lost its lid and all of the contents spilled into the pot- making a mass so thick a spoon could stand up straight in it.

Then while making supper I was attempting to open something with a knife and ended up stabbing the palm of my left hand, at least 1/4 of an inch deep.

The blood and pain, and tears somehow washed my soul. The prayers of a husband and two little ones reminded me how dear my family is and how much I depend on them. A stiff hand and the fact I can't use it, or lift things as usual has meant I have had to set aside many things I would normally do.

So this wound I blamed on a day gone wrong has ended up slowing me down. And in the calm I have more time to wonder why I was fretting over so many things. Yes, there is a list a mile long of things to do, things that never get completely done. But do they really matter?

I walk through my garden seeing the things done, rather than the weeds to be pulled.

I sit and hold my baby, growing up so fast, now already a year old. Today he doesn't feel so well, his tummy aches and he loves to snuggle with his head on my shoulder. I have no where to rush, I can't wash dishes as usual, I can't weed, I have to wait and let my hand heal. And so we can snuggle in peace, enjoying the closeness of mother and child. Uninterrupted by my mile long list, because I have been stopped in my tracks.

And so despite the foolishness of a moment when I wounded myself worse than ever before I can rejoice. Rejoice in the fact that it is OK if I don't get everything done. Rejoice in the fact that I am not and don't have to be perfect, or super Mom/Woman. Rejoice in the fact that these precious moments spent holding our children and giving them our full attention is much more important than the many THINGS we could ever hope to accomplish.

So dear Mommy.

It is OK, if you don't get everything done on your list today, or tomorrow or EVER!

It is OK if you just stop and take a break and let the swirling rush of the world pass you by, enjoying and savoring this moment with those you love and most importantly taking the time to pray for their sweet little souls.

Is is OK if others do more than you. Haven't you learned yet NOT to compare yourself or your children?!

It is OK just to be you!


No comments:

Post a Comment