Sunday, July 1, 2012

Contentment

For some time I have felt a need to grow in contentment. Contentment with what I have, contentment with where I am in life, contentment with myself, contentment in most everything.

I am continually wanting more, better and different.

I have been meditating in the verses from Philippians 4:10-13


10 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength. 

I had ordered a Bible study book called "Calm My Anxious Heart " by Linda Dillow- not realizing it was also based on these verses. 


A friend of my just started leading a Bible study on Philippians. 


Over and over God has bring reminding me he wants to do something in my heart and life. 


I started reading this book and every page seems to speak straight to my heart. 


I am confused as a Mom. 


I KNOW that being a Mom is a good and high calling. I KNOW being at home is what is best for my kids. Yet I feel discouraged and feel I should be doing SOMETHING more in life. It is as if cultural expectations and desires creep into my thoughts. 


I find myself growing discontent being at home as a Mom. I feel I should be working, earning money, using my skills as an English teacher, ministering somewhere, doing something important. 


Yet at moments when my worry is gone and my thoughts clear I know I am doing something important, and there is nothing more important just now than raising my kids and living the life God has given me. 


I sometimes feel as if someone is trying to gyp me from enjoying and thriving where I am right now. Satan is certainly crafty in trying to get us to be discontent doing the things God intends for us. 

 In the posts to come I hope to share what I am learning from my book and the thoughts I am dwelling on. 


How do you deal with discontent? 


Chapter 1 had a recipe for contentment from a missionary who served in Africa 50+ years. (From Calm my Anxious Heart-by Linda Dillow)


  • Never allow yourself to complain about anything, not even the weather.
  • Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or some place else. 
  • Never compare your lot with another's 
  • Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise. 
  • Never dwell on tomorrow- remember that (tomorrow) is God's, not ours.
 Wow, do I ever fall short here! Since reading this I have been challenged to work on my attitude! 

No comments:

Post a Comment