Sunday, July 13, 2014

Puppy Update = Week 3

Perhaps if you were our puppy you'd think I was out to get you. I know, I know, I expect perfection. But the truth is I am a "by the book" kind of girl.

When I stepped into this new world of puppy-hood. I ordered two books, "The Art of Raising a Puppy." and "Ceaser's Way." I chose these books because they had good reviews. And having never had had a dog I wanted to do this right. I got the puppy before the books since they came on an airplane later. . .

So I had done a good deal of reading online and was prepared with the knowledge of WHAT we needed but not the reality of HOW it is to have a puppy.

Three weeks have passed. There were many days those first two weeks when I thought we had made a serious mistake. I had NO idea puppies nip so much. And those books- well let's just say the second one left my blood so cold I was sure I had been an utter fool to get a dog.

Between trying to teach a puppy to stay out of the garden, teach her to do her 'stuff' in the right spot and not jump on people and not nip and trying to house-train her and do the normal life I have (cooking, mothering, working, etc) I have been left feeling I'm losing my mind. This is mostly due to lack of sleep. Having a puppy has turned my sleeping schedule topsy turvy.

But then there is the positive side where she is so excited to see me in the morning when I come down to take her outside. There is the progress in teaching her to wait, to sit, to stay, etc. She is smart and seeing her learn is rewarding. Yes, she has a long way to go. Don't we all?!




No comments:

Post a Comment